Saturday, February 7, 2009

watching

i ride public transportation almost every day to school. mostly the bus, but occasionally the light rail (that sucks as it requires walking a mile uphill, both ways...usually in the snow). like erika, i often find myself staring or captivated by someone on the bus or something that flashed past in the window. such as:

on the bus:










on the train:






it feels really strange to post this stuff as they're all more sketches (if that) than actual focused ideas. none of this revolves around a central concept. there is no theory or artist statement to accompany. frankly, it all feels rather snapshot-ish. is that evident? is that bad? is that good? is that just a thing? i think i feel kind of vulnerable posting these, as i have no idea what i'm doing with them. and yet, i'm curious...feedback? that and the process of editing them and putting them out there is helping me think about the work. erika, i'm looking to you as my editing guru...if you made this a series, what would you hack and why?

thanks for letting me share and any for fedback/comments!

2 comments:

  1. No its great, not everything is a finished piece.. but everything you makes works towards a finished piece. Its like me showing pictures of my paintings when they are not quite "finished" yet. It shows your process and train of thought, and by discussing you'll probably find more ways to make this more like a "finished piece." So don't feel weird putting them on here.
    I find the second especially nice, it really has the feel of voyeurism with that out of focus umbrella which adds more complexity to the composition. I'd like you to focus on doing those kinds of things, getting points of view that are stranger, the bus/subway has a lot of nice frames and angels to play with. I'm not feeling the photo that is close of that mans face with a hat as much, I think because the context of your travel is taken out of the photo so much. It works better when I understand the structure of the bus because then I am more able to feel more apart of this commute, everyone who rides the bus and subway has some internalized notion of what public commute is and how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kinda funny, people everywhere this time of year look miserable and sick of the cold. Doesn't everyone in these photos just look lost and or tired. Maybe it was the time of day I dont really know. Catching people in there "in between moments" is awkward, in a good way both I feel for the photographer and the viewer.

    ReplyDelete