Saturday, February 7, 2009

Studio Update 2

My painting in middle stages:






I was doing a lot of blotting, palette knife scrapes, stickers, towels, anything I found on the floor/in my studio to take the layers away (then dry, heh oil paint), when I was using paper it made some nice drawings.


My studio boys:
Luca Grimaldi



Taylor Butler:
Wish I got a picture just a day or two ago there was this painting under all that gray that I loveddddd, but I like the way he can completely let go of an entire painting/section.


Source material this painting:
I got gray oil paint on the photo copy so I included that into my painting. The source material is getting pretty important in my work.


Source material for next painting:


At the end of the day:


After I put a lil more paint on:
Lights weird, thats why I paint in the beautiful day light, night came and took the good lighting.



I'll post more talk and chat later I gotta go shoot for video. Lottss of work this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. you sound like a busy girl. I like seeing the progression of your painting, and how it is progressing overall. You have a style of your own which is important to establish in this stage in your career. It's something that many young artists have trouble grasping. you go girl, I want to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. erin, i love this! seeing your progress is awesome and the product is looking great, as well. i love that you were using just random stuff off the studio floor to blot the painting. i love the texture you're getting. overall, i'm really drawn to the image. the color selection is compelling. there's tension in the composition - enough of a diagonal to keep things interesting, but not severe.

    so, do you consider it finished or do you anticipate more work on it?

    look forward to more! hope you have a productive weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin good girlll! i love the texture as well the close up of the figures and the spottiness and vague outlines of them is really beautiful, will you add color later or are you just working black and white for this one? The source material for your next one looks awweesommme!!! i love how their faces are blown out. I want more more more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was a wonderful post! sorry for the delayed reaction, but it is nice to see this displayed upon the web as well as your studio walls. it enjoy seeing luca and taylor's work as well.

    this painting is really great, but for your next, which i believe you are already going to pursue, you should fill the composition in a little more. one aspect that worked with your previous dark painting was the way it activated the space. Now as you present further distorted imagery, making the spacial connection with the viewer is important.

    cannot wait to see more...tomorrow when i go to school :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good advice, I'm starting that painting today.. I hope to get more than a drawing finished today, its a biggie, my heightxmy height

    ReplyDelete