Thursday, January 22, 2009

Some wood

And this, is my first project from Intro to Woodworking. Turns out, I love to carve things! We had to make a bowl/platter and "utensil" of our own design. There wasn't much in the way of concept involved, just a means by which to get us familiarized with woodworking hand tools. I've been and am still pretty invested in the idea of leaves as forms for a long list of reasons, which is why I went with that shape in the pieces.

Technical stuff:
The bowl was created with the intention that it would hold yarn and the sticks are knitting needles. All is functional (the bowl actually has a really nice feel tucked into one's side at the waste/hip and the needles are carved to US 8 gage).

The bowl is 2 pieces of laminated mahogany and the needles are maple. All work was done with hand tools, which I really loved.

Related, technical note:
Thoughts on the documentation? I haven't really photographed my work much and want to start thinking more about ways to make the images interesting, dynamic representations of the work. How do you guys approach it? Do you spend time laying out your ideas before going in? Do you just shoot it on the fly? Do you have thoughts about best practices when doing this? Is anyone else as nerdy and obsessive about these kinds of things, as me?

3 comments:

  1. Well...as nerdy and obsessive...probably not :) But, I do enjoy seeing other things that you are working on aside from your photography.

    As for the shooting process, in my opinion, the first of the three is the most successful as a visual image as well as a presentation of the work. I personally have not done much studio shooting with objects, but when its time, I do not do much planning except for maybe pin pointing what I find most successful in the work and making that the focal.

    Along with that, we all know light is important as well as shadows, which is why I think the first is strongest. Maybe (in other circumstances or even along side of your interest in leaves) think about the background. Do you want it to coincide with the object? Make it bare? I think you will just know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and smooth.. the wood almost has a feeling of water which is a pretty fantastic transformation of materials. I would love to knit with that set.. I really think this is a profitable idea.

    I think your documentation photographs are good. They show the essence of your piece while also having a very beautiful light situation that isn't overpowering my ability to see the details of the objects. I'd like maybe a detail of the knitting needles and a detail of the bowl.

    Good work girl, I suck at sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, thanks for all the feedback on the work and documentation! i did take some detail shots, but they're not very good. i need to work on that part. i ended up obsessing about showing the pieces in different orientations and forgot about detail shots until the very end. also didn't photo the separate pieces enough.

    erin, if i every get the time (hahaha), i'll make you your own very special set of needles. i really, really love the act of carving. its something i can physically/emotionally feel amost more than any other medium i've worked with. i'm kind of sad that subsequent wood projects have been more about furniture/angles/lines/using machines. figuring out how to embrace the machines and also incorporate my carving (without it becoming just surface decoration) this semester.

    ReplyDelete