Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Seven Ravens - The Sun and The Moon

Sorry for the absence, both in comments and in posts. Crazy busy and then sick. Back to work, now.

This is the first from series illustrating the Bros. Grimm story of the Seven Ravens. Its all scanned objects. No "photographs." I'm not working chronologically, but wanted to post before I'm finished with group, as I'm interested in feedback. Crit next week. I know they're a little barren, and yet...not sure that I'm ready to add more. I really don't want to include figures at this stage...too much risk of them becoming "doll-like." Thoughts?

The text for this portion of the story:

"And now she went continually onwards, far, far to the very end of the world. Then she came to the sun, but it was too hot and terrible, and devoured little children. Hastily she ran away, and ran to the moon, but it was far too cold, and also awful and malicious, and when it saw the child, it said, "I smell, I smell the flesh of men."

6 comments:

  1. So glad to see that you are continuing with the scanograms. This image is powerful and I'm left wanting to see more. Findng the right objects to tell the story is hard. I think what you have going on here compositionally is strong. It puts me into the story and I feel like I'm there. I cant wait to see more.
    Mean while I'm over here obsessed with audio!!! so this photo in relation to text is nice to see on my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and... one thing of advice... watch out for those NEWTON RINGS, they can be killer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That story line is intense, but so is your scan. I am reallyyyy diggin this one.. You let a lot more of the narrative go and let the mood of the story take over. The coolness of the scene is very apparent.. I think the only thing is maybe if the moon was a little smaller it may feel farther away making the "character" seem smaller. the textures and light reflecting on the materials scanned is really beautiful. And the moon looks kinda like a condom hahha i don't know if it is or not lol.

    I think that you can go ahead with leaving the figures out, it makes the person looking at the image become the figure instead so play with that idea and figure out how scale can change the feeling of the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a really fantastic way of approaching an illustration. this comment may be a little late, but i enjoy that there are no figures, atleast yet. the fastination with the material next to the text is enough to direct me through the narrative and be visually connected without reference to a particular figure. your experiments seem to becoming your work, lets keep um comin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see more of the illustrations for this work, working so much with scanners now and computers myself i have wondered about trying something like this out, this photograph has a very quirky tricia-ness to it, the saturated blue is gorgeous, your sense of color is great and those diamonds have such a crazy effect. more more more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i mean non photograph... haha these remind me of rayographs

    ReplyDelete