Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New painting stage one-ish

Sorry guys I've been so busy with classes I kept forgetting to bring my good camera to the studio to get new shots of my camera, so unfortunately I missed photographing a few other stages.. but here it is:











I bought wax medium for this painting because the last got too flat, I'm building up a lot more paint.
Because of the size it will end up being a painting that I keep up all semester to add to. Its like one me x one me.
I'll continue to show a few folds in the source material/oil stains from the studio, addressing photography as my source but creating a obvious divide between the two mediums. I'm really not into photo realism (for myself).
The photos are from newspapers which I take to the photocopier and distort the hell out of by blowing the up. I think I'm trying to address mostly the way we are fed information and its obvious filters and problems of these modes of communication But sometimes the image is recognized, which leads to a bigger experience of memory and history.

Next project I'm thinking about a diptych or longer painting that deals with time. So maybe following a story through a few images spread out in time by NY times... I'll finish this one first, hopefully by friday.

PS- get me a crit POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE with the knowledge that this is not finished yet (ie i have more time) and have a crit coming up.

2 comments:

  1. uhm...i love the color pallet and the texture. personally, i prefer heavily textured paintings vs the smooth/flatter surface texture. i think your process is very interesting and i enjoy that the physical process of making the work is related the concept. its not just "process for intended visual result" and "visual product speaks to concept." i really respect that you have found a way, for yourself, to merge the entire thing.

    while i like the subject matter, overall it feels a little cramped. i think its a combo of the figures bleeding in to one and other, how close they all get to the edge, and maybe its harder to judge via the web than in person. i wonder if a possible solution is to try to adjust the piece so as to vary the distance from the edge more? in the photos, at least, it seems like the space between top of head and edge, space between left elbow and edge, and feet and edge are all really close to being the same amount of space. but, maybe that's intentional and something i'm missing, or a function of the angle of the camera when you were shooting the work.

    overall, awesome. i love seeing that source photo weeks ago and this full-scale painting today! keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As T pointed out, the color, or therefore lack of, is working for me. I enjoy the way the ground almost looks reflective, as though they are sinking and the smudgey facial features.

    When looking at it in person (which I have the advantage of :)) I notice the white line across their stomachs much more. A little variation and lightening would probably enhance the effect you are going for. I would also like to see that 'torn' or 'copied' effect a little bit more, but approached in a more imaginative way. I realize you are looking at an image for resource, but making your own personal tweeks will also add to the concept as well. Keep it up it looks good.

    ReplyDelete